Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524
17 Year Old Male Accepted to 8 Ivy League Universities

Greg Toppo, USATODAY
April 2, 2014

In the next month, Kwasi Enin must make a tough decision: Which of the eight Ivy League universities should he attend this fall?

A first generation American from Shirley, N.Y., the 17 year old violist and aspiring physician applied to all eight, from Brown to Yale.

The responses began rolling in over the past few months, and by late last week when he opened an e-mail from Harvard, he found he'd been accepted to every one. School district officials provided scanned copies of acceptance letters from all eight Monday. Yale confirmed that it was holding a spot for Enin.

The feat is extremely rare, say college counselors — few students even apply to all eight, because each seeks different qualities in their freshman class. Almost none are invited to attend them all. The Ivy League colleges are among the nation's most elite.

"My heart skipped a beat when he told me he was applying to all eight," says Nancy Winkler, a guidance counselor at William Floyd High School, where Enin attends class. In 29 years as a counselor, she says, she's never seen anything like this. "It's a big deal when we have students apply to one or two Ivies. To get into one or two is huge. It was extraordinary."

For most of the eight schools, acceptance comes rarely, even among the USA's top students. At the top end, Cornell University admitted only 14% of applicants. Harvard accepted just 5.9%.

But Enin has, "a lot of things in his favor," says college admissions expert Katherine Cohen, CEO and founder of IvyWise, a New York-based consulting firm.

For one thing, he's a young man. "Colleges are looking for great boys," Cohen says. Application pools these days skew heavily toward girls: The U.S. Department of Education estimates that females comprised 57% of college students in degree-granting institutions last year. Colleges — especially elite ones — are struggling to keep male/female ratios even, so admitting academically gifted young men like Enin gives them an advantage.

He ranks No. 11 in a class of 647 at William Floyd, a large public school on Long Island's south shore. That puts him in the top 2% of his class. His SAT score, at 2,250 out of 2,400 points, puts him in the 99th percentile for African-American students.

He will also have taken 11 Advanced Placement courses by the time he graduates this spring. He's a musician who sings in the school's a capella group and volunteers at Stony Brook University Hospital's radiology department. Enin plans to study medicine, as did both of his parents. They immigrated to New York from Ghana in the 1980s and studied at public colleges nearby. Both are nurses.

Being a first-generation American from Ghana also helps him stand out, Cohen says.

Enin says he got the idea to apply to all eight in 10th or 11th grade, discovering that each has, "their own sense of school spirit," and other qualities he liked. He also applied to three State University of New York campuses and Duke — and yes, they have all accepted him.

In a phone interview, Enin said Princeton so far has offered the most generous aid package. But he has yet to get offers from Columbia, Cornell or Harvard. Either way, he'll need to accept a place in the class of 2018 somewhere by May 1. He wants to pursue both music and medicine.

Cohen says he's, "sitting in a very good place right now — I think he can negotiate the very best financial aid package he can get," at his top-choice school. "Almost any of them would do anything for this type of candidate," Cohen says.

She advises that Enin call or write each of the eight and let them know that he's got a slot in each other's freshman class. They'll compete to get him to show up in the fall.

Once he decides, she says, he should write letters to the seven runners-up saying he's, "honored to have been admitted." After all, he's got to keep his options open for graduate school.

Photo: William Floyd School District

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
williams.jpeg  

enin.jpg  

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, Kelseecat65, Megamel29, TwistedSisterr, winvens
Old 04-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Metal Mike
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:60
The Untrollable

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9256 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss15388
Re: 17 Year Old Male Accepted to 8 Ivy League Universities

Well, hell yeah. Living the American Dream. More power to him.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Metal Mike For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, diamondsmiles, Megamel29, tbone79, winvens
Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 PM
PlinyTheYounger
Offline:
★ Sexual Tyrannosaurus ★
Poster Rank:62
Pelvic Sorcerer

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 6861 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
9/20 10/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss15190

We have a black president and this kid is 1000x more intelligent than me. No more playing the race card.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PlinyTheYounger For This Useful Post:
CrunchyCripple, diamondsmiles, Megamel29, winvens
Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Quoted: 21451 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss37716

These schools cost a fortune to attend.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shakey For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, TwistedSisterr, winvens
Old 04-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Good for him!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 05-02-2014, 02:13 AM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524
*NY Student Accepted to All 8 Ivy League Schools Makes Selection*

MASTIC BEACH, N.Y. (AP) -

April 30, 2014 (WPVI)

Kwasi Enin is taking his brains to Yale.

In a move usually reserved for highly recruited athletes, a suburban New York high school student who was accepted to all eight Ivy League schools announced Wednesday before a phalanx of national media cameras that he has decided to be a member of Yale University's Class of 2018.

He explained he had been thinking about Yale, but, the clincher was a campus visit last week.

"I met geniuses from all across the world and everyone there was so friendly and inviting and the residential college system there is just wonderful for each student," the 17 year old Shirley resident told reporters.

Enin, whose parents emigrated from Ghana in the 1980s, attracted national attention this spring after being accepted at all eight Ivies plus several New York state colleges. He made a cameo appearance on the, "Late Show With David Letterman," and his accomplishment was the topic of a jibe during, Saturday Night Live's "Weekend Update," segment.

On his application essay to the Ivy League schools, the Long Island teenager wrote passionately about his love for music, although his intention is to someday go to medical school and become a physician.

"Whenever I perform, whether as a bassist in Men's Doo Wop Group or as a violinist in a Chamber Ensemble, I become immersed in the conversations between performers and the audience," he said in the essay. "As I become lost in these conversations, I create blissful memories in which I am truly part of my community's culture and eventually its history."

He noted at Wednesday's press conference that he sensed that passion would be sated at Yale.

"I believe that their deep appreciation and love for music, like I have, was very critical for me deciding to go there," he told reporters.

Enin was joined at the press conference by his parents, Ebenezer and Doreen Enin, and his 14 year old sister, Adwoa.

Ebenezer Enin said he and his wife have encouraged both of their children to excel in the classroom.

"I believe you can do better than him," he said he told his daughter.

Enin scored 2,250 out of 2,400 on his SAT. He was also accepted at Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton and the University of Pennsylvania.

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Megamel29
Old 05-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

What an awesome kid. Good for him. I hope with all of those schools accepting him that he is given a scholarship.

The Following User Says Thank You to Megamel29 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 05-04-2014, 12:13 PM
MrCorpse
Offline:
*DR's nice guy*
Poster Rank:44
Male

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss19084

"He ranks No. 11 in a class of 647 at William Floyd, a large public school on Long Island's south shore. That puts him in the top 2% of his class. His SAT score, at 2,250 out of 2,400 points, puts him in the 99th percentile for African-American students."

How the fuck has this become such a big deal he's being interviewed on TV? What about the ten people who ranked higher in his class?

No doubt he's a smart kid and that's a very high SAT score but let's face it, he is a black kid with a black name who wrote a gay letter which allowed them to create a story they could sell.

If it was a dorky white kid who wrote a faggy letter about how he likes music nobody would give a fuck. This is just more affirmative action shit.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrCorpse For This Useful Post:
BigFoot, peema