Poster Rank:19

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2170 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss37570
14 Year Old Ban Lifted in China.

Hong Kong (CNN) -- The Chinese Ministry of Health has lifted a 14-year-old ban on lesbians donating blood in effect as of July 1.

The ban still applies to men who are sexually active with other men, but celibate homosexuals are permitted to give blood, according to the Ministry of Health's website.

The original ban, enacted in 1998, barred homosexuals of both genders from donating blood out of a fear of spreading HIV and AIDS.

Xu Bin, a prominent lesbian rights activist in China, told the Global Times she applauded the amendment and what it means for lesbians in China.

"It is also about our dignity and the elimination of blood donation discrimination," she was quoted as saying.

Xu, who goes by her nickname Xian, first tried to donate blood in 2008 after an earthquake in Sichuan Province, when she learned of the ban and began campaigning against it.

"It's scientific that the policy doesn't mention homosexual identity but only fences off some who have certain sex behaviors, because AIDS is not caused by one's homosexual identity but improper sexual behavior," Xian told the Global Times.
AIDS first made an appearance in China in the 1980s when an Argentinean tourist died from the disease while on holiday in the country. Like other areas of the world, the epidemic was shrouded in confusion which was exacerbated in China by official denials that it existed there.

However, more recently, organizations such as UNAIDS, the joint United Nations program on HIV and AIDS, have commended the Chinese government on advancements in the attitude on AIDS.

In June, UNAIDS reported that its executive director had visited the country and praised the government's "major investments in China's AIDS response and a dramatic scale-up of HIV prevention, treatment and care programs."
The new regulations also include several other changes, including raising the age limit to 60, increasing the amount donated from 200 ml to 400 ml and shortening the required period of time between donations.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flaka For This Useful Post:
DannyDrama, diamondsmiles, durt, Faline, K9Grip, kellyhound
Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649
Re: 14 Year Old Ban Lifted in China.

In all honesty I had no idea that there was this type of ban in China. I highly doubt that the person needing the blood would really care if the donor was a homosexual.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, diamondsmiles, durt, Flaka, kanda444, kellyhound
Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM
DannyDrama
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:355

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2093

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Grip View Post
In all honesty I had no idea that there was this type of ban in China. I highly doubt that the person needing the blood would really care if the donor was a homosexual.
I don't think it would matter to me. It weirds me out to think this kind of ban is needed. Do they not screen the fucking blood first? I know nothing about it but surely they have to? If not, I'd rather not bother in the first place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyDrama For This Useful Post:
durt, K9Grip
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
AnneLea
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1732
female

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

found out interesting things about blood donation in USA thanks to my mother and husband.

They won't take mom's because she's a carrier for Hepititis B. that's understandable.

They won't take my husband's because he has siezures... even when they were taking blood from people with HIV and AIDS.

People out here will also flip out if they identify themselves as "a good ol' boy" and find out their blood comes from a person of a different color, sexuality, or religion.

Why would it be any different in another country? Fear is fear.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AnneLea For This Useful Post:
dean mclean, durt, kanda444, kellyhound
Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Faline
Offline:
♥ Moderator ♥
Poster Rank:2
Gore Goddess
Contributions: 226

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss93392

Had no idea myself, thanks Flaka

The Following User Says Thank You to Faline For This Useful Post:
Flaka
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 PM
K9Grip
Offline:
Ill Saint Hoodrat
Poster Rank:16

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 19389 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss40649

I'm still under ban from donating here in the USA because I lived in Europe during all the Mad Cow garbage. Sometime in Sept. I think mine gets lifted though.

Diseased blood I can definitely understand, but just because you're gay or because of race??? If I'm dying and there's only a gay, black person's blood to give, then give it to me.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to K9Grip For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, diamondsmiles, durt, kanda444, kellyhound, Zambini
Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneLea View Post
found out interesting things about blood donation in USA thanks to my mother and husband.

They won't take mom's because she's a carrier for Hepititis B. that's understandable.

They won't take my husband's because he has siezures... even when they were taking blood from people with HIV and AIDS.

People out here will also flip out if they identify themselves as "a good ol' boy" and find out their blood comes from a person of a different color, sexuality, or religion.

Why would it be any different in another country? Fear is fear.
very strange that a person that has seizures would wanna give blood in the first place.. maybe they wont accept his blood for the same thought that i have. dont want him seizing up after he's low on blood and potentially decides to sue the blood drive.

BUT... if he is seizure free for 3 or 6.. most likely 6 months.. he should be able to give blood.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 PM
AnneLea
Offline:
My Rank: LANCE CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1732
female

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Siezure free since Feb 7th of 20011.

Also, it's lack of meds that allow him to have siezures. He has lost significant blood without feeling a siezure starting.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 PM
k_dub
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:285

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2893

Well thats fucking smart....

Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Vera Wang
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1006
Female

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss425

The UK has only just lifted the ban on certain groups. They also banned women who were in relationships with men who had had anal sex with another man in the past.