Go Back  

13 Yo Player Brakes Wrist After Ice Hockey Coach Tripped Him During Handshake Line-up 

Current Rating:

Join NowJoin Now

Old 06-29-2012, 08:19 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
14/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61178
13 Yo Player Brakes Wrist After Ice Hockey Coach Tripped Him During Handshake Line-up

Quote:

VANCOUVER – Shocking footage of a hockey coach tripping a 13-year-old player after a game Saturday afternoon, leaving the boy with a broken wrist, has sparked outrage in the minor hockey community.

“I don’t ever want to see that coach on a bench behind kids ever again,” said Richmond Steel team manager Tammy Hohlweg of the man coaching the Hornets, who won Saturday’s game 5-4.

“It’s just horrible that a coach would go after a child like that, and what’s even more horrible is that team won.

“We were the losing team and that guy still went after our kid.”

The footage, shot by a parent of a Steel player, shows the two teams preparing to shake hands following the game at UBC’s Thunderbird Arena.

The coach, wearing a black jacket and beige pants, can be seen moving down the line before sticking out his right foot.

A player in a blue Steel jersey is then seen falling, causing a second player to go down as well.

Later footage also shows the man trading words with a referee while a Steel coach standing in shock is ushered off the ice.

A Hornets player is also caught on camera throwing a water bottle at the bleachers while others on his team applaud and gesture with their arms open.

The Hornets coach also gives a middle finger to those yelling from the bleachers.

According to RCMP Sgt. Paulena Gidda, the coach, who has not been identified by police, was arrested Saturday but released.

“Charges will be forwarded at a later date, pending the results of the investigation,” Gidda said.

The player is a minor and, depending on the severity of his injury, his parents would be the ones to decide whether or not to press charges.

Hohlweg said the boy’s family is keeping things low-key and the boy is now wearing a cast for his broken wrist.

According to Hohlweg, whose son also plays on the team and whose husband was one of several coaches Saturday, the incident emphasizes the importance of communication between parents and hockey associations.

“I think we have to be aware of what our coaches are doing. And parents, when they see (incidents like this), need to bring it forward,” she said.

While she couldn’t speak for the Hornets’ coach or their association, she noted her own organization, the Richmond Minor Hockey Association, requires coaches to undergo criminal record checks every year.

She also expressed concern over how the Hornets responded to the event. Youths on the two teams are between the ages of 10 and 13.

“It just goes to show how much influence a coach . . . has on those kids. At Richmond Minor Hockey, that kind of stuff is stopped. We don’t tolerate it at all,” Hohlweg noted.

“You’ll see the kids start acting like the coach and you can’t blame the kids because the person they look up to is doing it, too.”

Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
gatagato
Offline:
★ Moderator ★
Poster Rank:180
Male
Contributions: 367

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 15/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss5488
Re: 13 Yo Player Brakes Wrist After Ice Hockey Coach Tripped Him During Handshake Lin

What an asshole, the last thing kids need is seeing adults behaving like that.
B.C. hockey coach was ‘trash talking’ 13-year-old during game before he was caught tripping player on camera
Quote:
One parent of a Richmond Steel player, who asked not to be named, told The Province newspaper the tension began when the Steel player who was injured started to celebrate the opening goal.

“He was celebrating and he skated by the [opposing] bench and obviously, the coach said something to him because the player then turned around and gave him the finger,” the parent said.

“Every time that kid was on the ice, you could see the coach would be talking to him, trash talking him, basically,” added the parent.

While the out-of-control hockey mom or dad has become a caricature in Canada, observers say they’re surprised to see a coach behave like this.

“My kids have been in hockey for nine years and I’ve never seen that,” Ms. Hohlweg said.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gatagato For This Useful Post:
Cumulonimbus, diamondsmiles, kellyhound, Stevee
Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 PM
ices
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:240
Male

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3655
Re: 13 Yo Player Brakes Wrist After Ice Hockey Coach Tripped Him During Handshake Lin

The difference between coaches on grass/normal ground and ice hockey coaches?

The ice hockey coaches can avoid the wrath and beatdowns they deserve if they do shit like this. I guarantee you that if he did this to a kid on a football/rugby/hockey/basketball area, he'd get knocked the fuck out.

The Following User Says Thank You to ices For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Muertaluna
Offline:
01101000 01101001
Poster Rank:925

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss483

omg what a fucking dickface!

The Following User Says Thank You to Muertaluna For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Cumulonimbus
Offline:
Meh
Poster Rank:262

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3156

How pathetic does a grown man have to be to smack talk and trip a 13-year-old kid? How could you begin to justify that type of behavior to yourself? What a loser.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cumulonimbus For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, diamondsmiles, kellyhound
Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatagato View Post
What an asshole, the last thing kids need is seeing adults behaving like that.
B.C. hockey coach was ‘trash talking’ 13-year-old during game before he was caught tripping player on camera

I hate overzealous loser parents who try to live through their children!

I can't think if a word. Unsportsmanlike doesn't cut it for me!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumulonimbus View Post
How pathetic does a grown man have to be to smack talk and trip a 13-year-old kid? How could you begin to justify that type of behavior to yourself? What a loser.
Welcome back, Cumulonimbus! Hadn't seen you on here for a while!

What you said!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Cumulonimbus, gatagato
Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21526

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
The difference between coaches on grass/normal ground and ice hockey coaches?

The ice hockey coaches can avoid the wrath and beatdowns they deserve if they do shit like this. I guarantee you that if he did this to a kid on a football/rugby/hockey/basketball area, he'd get knocked the fuck out.

More loser parents trying to live through their children!

Sadly, I've seen a couple of those fights with little leaguers! Not in person, thankfully!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Cumulonimbus
Offline:
Meh
Poster Rank:262

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3156

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
Welcome back, Cumulonimbus! Hadn't seen you on here for a while!

What you said!!!!
Thanks, DS! Yah, I haven't been posting much lately.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 AM
vexacon
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:403
Horny Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1774

I've seen quite a few of these coaches during my time playing hockey, some get pretty wound up! Scream, yell, throw tantrums, throw stuff around, argue and swear like truckdrivers!