Quoted: 20147 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss49396
Re: 13 Year Old Dies After Ingesting Peanut Butter at Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzcee007 View Post
Was this allergy listed on her application to attend this camp ? We have form upon form for parents/carers to fill in when we run any type of play scheme/group and anything we make foodwise is checked and double checked. Someone's head should roll for this tragic but preventable death.
there was a local incident (where i live) where a kid that had a known peanut allergy was given a PB&J sandwich on a field trip...he gave it back to the teacher, then he was given a peanut butter cookie which he ate, thinking it was just a sugar cookie. when he started to feel ill (he was 9), his chaperons (one of which was a registered nurse) made him wait in the bus so he wouldnt disrupt the other kid's field trip. they left him there for over an hour while the other kids toured a local farm... when they finally left, he was already in anaphylactic shock. the bus driver pulled over at a near by fire station on their ride home. when the firemen tried to help, he had no pulse and wasnt breathing.

sadly, this isnt the only incident like this locally... and, partly because of this, my son (who has a sever peanut allergy) will be home schooled. for some reason, food allergies dont seem to be taken seriously by some. my own mother in law has been banned (by me) from babysitting my kids because she has repeatedly sent my son snickers bars for his birthday...when we asked her to stop, she said 'why? it's not that big of a deal'.... she wasnt with us the time my son ate peanuts and i had to rush him to the ER and almost lost him (we didnt have an epi-pen yet and lived in an area with no emergency services), so i suppose she doesnt realize the severity (for some reason). i have met a lot of people that dont seem to think it's a big deal...

Azimuth, diamondsmiles, gatagato, Megamel29
Old 08-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Weatherly
Offline:
I'm made of sugar
Poster Rank:49
female

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 5045 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss17846

Horrible but if a peanut kills you, I'm calling it natural selection.

except Kanda's kid, he can live. It's ok

The Following User Says Thank You to Weatherly For This Useful Post:
rapeWhistle
Old 08-02-2013, 03:55 PM
rapeWhistle
Hand of the King
Poster Rank:15
Standing by...
Contributions: 53

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 21635 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
16/20 13/20
Today Posts
11/11 ssss40906

RIP
Linday Lohan
July 31, 2013

i'm not sure i'd have the patience to deal with an aging pig.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:55 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female
Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
there was a local incident (where i live) where a kid that had a known peanut allergy was given a PB&J sandwich on a field trip...he gave it back to the teacher, then he was given a peanut butter cookie which he ate, thinking it was just a sugar cookie. when he started to feel ill (he was 9), his chaperons (one of which was a registered nurse) made him wait in the bus so he wouldnt disrupt the other kid's field trip. they left him there for over an hour while the other kids toured a local farm... when they finally left, he was already in anaphylactic shock. the bus driver pulled over at a near by fire station on their ride home. when the firemen tried to help, he had no pulse and wasnt breathing.

sadly, this isnt the only incident like this locally... and, partly because of this, my son (who has a sever peanut allergy) will be home schooled. for some reason, food allergies dont seem to be taken seriously by some. my own mother in law has been banned (by me) from babysitting my kids because she has repeatedly sent my son snickers bars for his birthday...when we asked her to stop, she said 'why? it's not that big of a deal'.... she wasnt with us the time my son ate peanuts and i had to rush him to the ER and almost lost him (we didnt have an epi-pen yet and lived in an area with no emergency services), so i suppose she doesnt realize the severity (for some reason). i have met a lot of people that dont seem to think it's a big deal...

It's sad that adults don't listen to children! By age 9, a child should know he or she cannot have certain things, but, they are also taught to listen the the adult in charge.

It goes back to what I have, unfortunately, said too many times. People don't give a shit anymore I hope the chaperone was sued and fired!

I know they are little people and being a picky and now diabetic, person, I always ask children if they can have sugar or different things, say, if we are in a park and the parents or caregiver aren't around.

When that person arrives, I tell them what the child had, just in case. Every now and then, a child may want ice cream or something and I don't want them to get sick or get in trouble.

Better to err on the side of caution

My mother doesn't always get it either, Kanda

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
gatagato
Old 08-02-2013, 06:02 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeWhistle View Post
RIP
Linday Lohan
July 31, 2013

Who?

Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 AM
cathy81
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:5945

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss23

A friend of me has the same problems. In Kindergarden the cook made a meal with maybe just one peanut, then outside she get a little bit steam from the kitchen and had go to the hospital.
She never had friends in kindergarten because for the kids it was not allows to eat sweet because it could have peanuts inside, so all kids hated her.
In school the same. In the university it is the first time she got some friends. She is really attractive, but the only things she can eat is Mc Donalds, KFC, Chinese all these unhealthy fast foot shit, because it doesnt contains peanuts :D
She really have a lot of problem because everything contains peanuts. At a new year party they had Chips and flips .. a guy took some flips and with the same hand a chip from her bowl.. they had to call the emergency .. now next year they will dont invite her again :(

The Following User Says Thank You to cathy81 For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles
Old 08-03-2013, 07:20 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy81 View Post
A friend of me has the same problems. In Kindergarden the cook made a meal with maybe just one peanut, then outside she get a little bit steam from the kitchen and had go to the hospital.
She never had friends in kindergarten because for the kids it was not allows to eat sweet because it could have peanuts inside, so all kids hated her.
In school the same. In the university it is the first time she got some friends. She is really attractive, but the only things she can eat is Mc Donalds, KFC, Chinese all these unhealthy fast foot shit, because it doesnt contains peanuts :D
She really have a lot of problem because everything contains peanuts. At a new year party they had Chips and flips .. a guy took some flips and with the same hand a chip from her bowl.. they had to call the emergency .. now next year they will dont invite her again :(

That's sad

There are exceptions to every rule! Whatever the issue, if known in advance, a true caring friend or the parent(s)/caregiver(s) should accomodate that issue, if it is a very young child!

Kids are usually open to new things and learning why things are the way they are. The parents obviously had a negative influence on this child

Has the world really become that uncaring

Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 PM
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:104

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss9575