Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
13 Year Old Boy Hanged Himself After Bullying at School

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbcd1f37" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=10,0,0,0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=51440687&amp;width=420&amp;height=24 5" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbcd1f37" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=51440687&amp;width=420&amp;heigh t=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit NBCNews.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.nbcnews.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>
WLTZ's Sara Belsole reports.

By Elizabeth Chuck, Staff Writer, NBC News

A 13-year-old Georgia boy who hanged himself after reportedly being bullied at school was remembered by family and friends as a hero at his funeral this week.

Devin Brown moved to Columbus, GA, six months ago to live with his father, who says the bullying began shortly after Devin started at his new middle school, according to NBC affiliate WLTZ-TV in Georgia.

"He got jumped, or somebody beat him up," Ray Brown, Devin's father, told WLTZ. "He came home one time and had some peanut butter pies he had made for school. When he walked through the door he had some pie left, and he had it all over him. Someone had jumped on him and smeared it all over him."

Brown voiced his concerns to Rothschild Middle School, but officials told him they hadn't heard of any issues, he said.

"They just kind of let it go," Brown said.

It wasn't until last Thursday night that Devin's family realized how far the bullying had gone.

"I hear [my stepmother yelling,] 'Oh my God, Ray, Ray, help me! I can't get him down, he hung himself,'" Cara Downs, Devin's older sister, told WLTZ. "I could see the black and blue around his neck and I tried to find a pulse, but couldn't find it."

Brown believes being called a, "snitch," at school pushed Devin over the edge. He told WLTZ that the day Devin took his life, he saw another student carrying a knife and threatening a teacher. Brown said Devin told his teacher about the knife; the other student was given disciplinary action.

"He said, 'Everyone is calling me a snitch,'" Brown said. "He said, 'There's about 15-20 people who want to jump on me.'"

Muscogee County School District's director of communications told NBC News she could not confirm there was threat to a teacher, but she said a knife was found.

"It was discovered upon search in the student's locker. And of course any student discipline, while I can't talk about particular student discipline, was handled according to policy," Valerie Fuller said.

At his funeral on Wednesday, a large wooden box with the word "hero" carved on it was set up. Devin's friends dropped notes into it, thanking him for speaking up about the threat he saw at school, reported WLTZ.

"I made this for him because he is my hero. He did the right thing and he knew he did the right thing," Brown told the affiliate.

On Devin's gravestone, the inscription read: "You left too soon, but forever wouldn't have been long enough. Our hero - Devin Brown."

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, EPIC_FAIL, Faline, icheerthebull, Kanda444, kellyhound, Megamel29, Ntwadumela, Pyramid_Head
Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 PM
xstunt1ngx
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:632

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss883
Re: 13 Year Old Boy Hanged Himself After Bulling at School

Wow kids can be cruel as fuck.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to xstunt1ngx For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, EPIC_FAIL, Faline, icheerthebull, kellyhound, Megamel29, pbaj12, RUSrs
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528
Re: 13 Year Old Boy Hanged Himself After Bulling at School

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstunt1ngx View Post
Wow kids can be cruel as fuck.
Sadly, it's getting worse!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, Faline, icheerthebull, Ntwadumela
Old 04-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Azimuth
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:33
Woman

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 3618 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss23376
Re: 13 Year Old Boy Hanged Himself After Bullying at School

A 15 year old boy killed himself over getting bullied at my younger daughter's high school earlier this school year. She didn't know any of the people involved but did say that it was girls doing the bullying. I do think they're worse, girls.

Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, Faline, icheerthebull, kellyhound
Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 PM
icheerthebull
Offline:
My Rank: MASTER SERGEANT
Poster Rank:290
Contributions: 3

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2802

I find stuff like this kind of heartbreaking. You wish there was a way you could go back and make the kids realise how little that small world really is. How insignificant these people are, at that age though its seems like that little world is the whole world. such a waste

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to icheerthebull For This Useful Post:
Azimuth, blue devil, Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, Faline, kellyhound, Megamel29
Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by icheerthebull View Post
I find stuff like this kind of heartbreaking. You wish there was a way you could go back and make the kids realise how little that small world really is. How insignificant these people are, at that age though its seems like that little world is the whole world. such a waste

My 8 year old great niece usually waits for the parents of any kid that she thinks is mean or like one boy two years ago, put boogers on her chair or something, but, when I saw one girl's mother at the playground, I told her to bide her time. She told me the girl cuts in line. "Mom," reminded me of the blonde woman who made her daughter fight another one!

Arturo's father took him home from the playground that day. Now, they talk to each other when they see each other and the father and I say, "hi," when we run into each other.

My neice got three awards and, "Mean Isabella," didn't get any. She was happy about that.

One was a Good Citizenship Award. I told her that means she gets along well with others and didn't expect, "Mean Isabella," would see any awards anytime soon.

I try to let the kids work it out, but, nowadays, some kids are just out of control!!

Most boys and adult men just fight and forget it the next day, or in the case of the adult men, they go get drunk afterwards and laugh about it.

As a female, I can hold a grudge until I die, but, I just figure it's the other person's loss and they're not worthy of my time!

I don't plot any evil. Karma will get them, even if she is busy at the moment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
Darkest Angel, icheerthebull
Old 04-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12566

What a waste...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
diamondsmiles, icheerthebull
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid_Head View Post
What a waste...
It really is, and it's so sad when young kids even have to think about ending their young lives

The Following User Says Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
icheerthebull
Old 04-07-2013, 01:16 AM
LetaB
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE
Poster Rank:5157

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss31

I really don't think bullying happens more often then it used to, I think that the global connectivity of the internet and facebook have brought an existing problem out into the open. I was bullied through elementary school and I still struggle with depression and emotional problems resulting from that, and I'm over 30 now. If I could go back in time and tell 10 year old me anything, it's that someday the hurt will fade, too bad this kid didn't get the chance to know that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LetaB For This Useful Post:
Blu, Darkest Angel, diamondsmiles, icheerthebull, kellyhound
Old 04-07-2013, 04:15 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Female

Activity Longevity
5/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21528

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetaB View Post
I really don't think bullying happens more often then it used to, I think that the global connectivity of the internet and facebook have brought an existing problem out into the open. I was bullied through elementary school and I still struggle with depression and emotional problems resulting from that, and I'm over 30 now. If I could go back in time and tell 10 year old me anything, it's that someday the hurt will fade, too bad this kid didn't get the chance to know that.

I'm sorry you had to experience the mean kids, but, I'm glad you are a survivor.

The worse things kids did in school when I was there was smoke cigarettes and later, pot, in bathrooms.

We had very few fights back then. Maybe parenting was better and we didn't have social media either.