Contributions: 118

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524
12 Year Old Girl Grabs Steering Wheel Going 80 mph When Grandfather Dies

<object id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268"><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=fw1000&station=wpvi&sectio n=&mediaId=8755363&parentId=8754695&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site=" ></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed id="otvPlayer" width="400" height="268" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/static/flash/embeddedPlayer/swf/otvEmLoader.swf?version=fw1000&station=wpvi&sectio n=&mediaId=8755363&parentId=8754695&cdnRoot=http://cdn.abclocal.go.com&webRoot=http://abclocal.go.com&configPath=/util/&site="></embed></object>

BURLINGTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 12-year-old New Jersey girl steered a car to safety when her grandfather died at the wheel with his foot on the accelerator.

Miranda Bowman and her grandfather, Paul Parker, were on their way home from New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville.

"He said Miranda just keep talking to me, just keep talking to me," Miranda said.

The 63-year-old said he wasn't feeling well.

"About 30 seconds later, I heard his head tap on the window and that's when I knew," Miranda said.

Parker died of a massive heart attack. His foot was on the accelerator.

The car was approaching speeds up to 80 mph on Buckshutem Road.

"I panicked and I started screaming. I unbuckled my seatbelt," Miranda said.

She tried to push the brake, the car slowed a bit, but continued to motor down the road crossing over into the opposite lanes.

"I just saw woods so I avoided the telephone pole right next to me went through someone's lawn then over a little tree then I took out three other trees and a stump," Miranda said.

"I can't imagine what she saw, watching her grandfather pass in front of her, let alone the reactions she had, I'm so lucky nothing else happened," Miranda's mother Stephanie said.

That's because the airbags deployed and Miranda was able to walk away with only some bumps and bruises.

Her quick thinking to slow the car likely saved her life.

Her grandfather though is dead.

It's been a bittersweet week for Miranda's mother. She's had conflicting emotions since Tuesday's accident.

"I'm probably not experiencing the loss as much as everyone else, because I'm too grateful and blessed to still have my baby girl," Stephanie said.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamondsmiles For This Useful Post:
AnneLea, Arsedestroyer, kellyhound, Sybil
Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 401

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
13/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61141
Re: 12 Year Old Girl Grabs Steering Wheel Going 80 mph When Grandfather Dies

Good of her but it feels to me she enjoys telling the story a bit to eager instead of mourning about her granddad.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Arsedestroyer
Offline:
USER REQUESTED BAN
Poster Rank:165
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 9/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5999

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhound View Post
Good of her but it feels to me she enjoys telling the story a bit to eager instead of mourning about her granddad.
for sure, i'd be upset over my grandad, not excited to be on tv.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
pyromancer555
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:172
Male
Contributions: 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhound View Post
I would be too idk i may just be weird like that. But it is an awesome story.

The Following User Says Thank You to pyromancer555 For This Useful Post:
Brometheus
Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
pyromancer555
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:172
Male
Contributions: 2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss5672

I did kind of think she was about to be like "and it was fucking awesome too" lol

The Following User Says Thank You to pyromancer555 For This Useful Post:
Arsedestroyer
Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524

Well, it probably was very exciting for her.

Who finds a dead body in the car with them exciting?

Well, there might be a few of you, but, generally speaking, for a young child, it would be more exciting to drive illegally than to watch your grandpa drop dead.

I'm not sure kids grasp the finality of death. They think they're having an extended sleep. It doesn't sink in until you're a bit older.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Brometheus
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:287
Contributions: 18

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2865

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmiles View Post
Well, it probably was very exciting for her.

Who finds a dead body in the car with them exciting?

Well, there might be a few of you, but, generally speaking, for a young child, it would be more exciting to drive illegally than to watch your grandpa drop dead.

I'm not sure kids grasp the finality of death. They think they're having an extended sleep. It doesn't sink in until you're a bit older.
lol "kids"? she's 12.. 12yr olds have a lot more sense than you think. Ive seen my cousin at my aunt's funeral crying his eyes out when he was 12.

I'm sure you dont also think 12yr olds still believe in Santa Claus, diamondsmiles :).

Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 PM
diamondsmiles
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:37
Female

Activity Longevity
6/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss21524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post
lol "kids"? she's 12.. 12yr olds have a lot more sense than you think. Ive seen my cousin at my aunt's funeral crying his eyes out when he was 12.

I'm sure you dont also think 12yr olds still believe in Santa Claus, diamondsmiles :).
I wasn't implying she had no sense. My niece was afraid to bring her daughter to my brother's viewing because she was afraid the child would be afraid to sleep. She was 7 at the time.

When we were at services where one of my other brothers and father were cremated in advance of the service, she was 4 and 6 and she couldn't sit in one place at 4. At 6, she was a little better.

There were a few other kids at my brother's service with a viewing and I don't know how well them knew him, but, I didn't see any kids creeped out, but, I don't think they were as old as 12.

I have nothing to compare a 12 year old's reaction to. I don't remember myself at that age either.

I guess it would depend on how well the child knew the deceased and if they were close.