Contributions: 41

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12278
Re: 11 Yo "Brony" Attempts Suicide After Being Bullied for Liking "My Little Po

Seriously though - bullying a kid over "My Little Pony"? Thats the best they could come up with ffs

The kid didnt attempt suicide over My Little Pony - it was clearly the lack of acceptance shown with the kids bullying him. Replace "my Little Pony" in this story with anything...

I blame the school and parents for their lack of involvement. Surely this issue had been going on for a while.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Angelahh For This Useful Post:
BBKF, diamondsmiles, Kanda444, Kelseecat65, Pigeon, winvens
Old 02-05-2014, 01:56 PM
subhuman
Offline:
★☆☆☆☆
Poster Rank:268

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1915 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3091

Having a hard time with life? You're encouraged to try attempting a suicide kids!

Your wants/needs will be facilitated as a result.

The Following 2 Users Disliked subhuman For This Post:
Shadedwill, winvens
Old 02-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?
Poster Rank:11
Contributions: 23

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 20138 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49383

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaan View Post
Having a hard time with life? You're encouraged to try attempting a suicide kids!

Your wants/needs will be facilitated as a result.
nah, instead we should just let the bullying happen and hope they learn to 'toughen up', correct? compassion for children!? the fuck has this world come to....

Angelahh, BBKF, diamondsmiles, winvens
Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 PM
subhuman
Offline:
★☆☆☆☆
Poster Rank:268

Quoted: 1915 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
7/20 7/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss3091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanda444 View Post
nah, instead we should just let the bullying happen and hope they learn to 'toughen up', correct? compassion for children!? the fuck has this world come to....
Agreed, bullying is not acceptable. And. The powers at be are doing good at increasing awareness. But encouraging children to attempt suicide is worse imho. Same reason serial killers shouldn't receive front page levels of attention.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to subhuman For This Useful Post:
Kanda444, Kelseecat65, winvens
Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?

Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49383

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaan View Post
Agreed, bullying is not acceptable. And. The powers at be are doing good at increasing awareness. But encouraging children to attempt suicide is worse imho. Same reason serial killers shouldn't receive front page levels of attention.
we agree on that as well. i personally dont own a tv that gets cable or signal...and it's because the media fuckin disgusts me.

they do the same shit with school shooters too. they make these kids famous, then wonder why others strive to be like them. so you and i are in agreeance on that point.

subhuman, winvens
Old 02-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

I think what is scary is that at 11, this kid was convinced killing himself was the answer. What went wrong at home, where he could not go to his parents? I mean, when I was 11, I didn't even know what suicide was. (yea, I realize that was in the dark ages...but still)

There must be far deeper issues...I mean, I would hope so....because in the bigger picture, this incident is so small compared to the rest of life.

The bottom line...parents cannot rely on the schools to teach their kids to be strong, confident people. It's the parents job to raise that child and give them all the tools they need to get by in this world.

The anti bullying is a very positive concept in my sons school. Not only does it target the bullies, but it also teaches the kids skills, to deal with such idiots. The school is quick to handle the problem child, or children. Jake has had a few minor issues and each time it was taken care of quickly and to my and Jakes satisfaction.

Home schooling has it's advantages and disadvantages. My son is almost 13 and is beyond social. Involved in every activity you can imagine and would be crushed if I took him away from his friends, his school, his life as he loves it. I have been tempted, but the random bully issues have been taken care of properly and along the way my son has learned valuable lessons. How to handle such people, how to react, how not to react... and that really has been a life building skill. He is now able to handle a confrontation (verbal) and walk away feeling good about himself. Like I told him, he will be dealing with people like this all of his life, I would rather he learn to handle his reactions like this, than with a punch or a gun.

Personally I feel that school is much more than getting an education. (Hell, I go over everything with Jake and still end up teaching him...I think we have to as parents, if we want our children to succeed in life.)
School is that first introduction to life, getting along & properly interacting with others, dealing with everyday problems, social skills, confidence building, being part of a group or team, learning skills that will be the next step to college, or life. Socialization needs to occur on a regular basis, and kids need to learn that not all people they will meet in life are necessarily good ones.

What's sad, it seems like kids of this generation are having to grow up way too fast.

Sorry this turned into a book!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
Angelahh, deanmine, icheerthebull, subhuman, winvens
Old 02-05-2014, 04:48 PM
deanmine
They Lied. There ALL LIES
Poster Rank:221
<--We did it. So Can You
Contributions: 48

Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
4/20 8/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss3968

u nailed it Kelsee

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deanmine For This Useful Post:
Angelahh, Kelseecat65, winvens
Old 02-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Kanda444
Offline:
You holdin....?

Activity Longevity
15/20 13/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssss49383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelseecat65 View Post
I think what is scary is that at 11, this kid was convinced killing himself was the answer. What went wrong at home, where he could not go to his parents? I mean, when I was 11, I didn't even know what suicide was. (yea, I realize that was in the dark ages...but still)

There must be far deeper issues...I mean, I would hope so....because in the bigger picture, this incident is so small compared to the rest of life.

The bottom line...parents cannot rely on the schools to teach their kids to be strong, confident people. It's the parents job to raise that child and give them all the tools they need to get by in this world.

The anti bullying is a very positive concept in my sons school. Not only does it target the bullies, but it also teaches the kids skills, to deal with such idiots. The school is quick to handle the problem child, or children. Jake has had a few minor issues and each time it was taken care of quickly and to my and Jakes satisfaction.

Home schooling has it's advantages and disadvantages. My son is almost 13 and is beyond social. Involved in every activity you can imagine and would be crushed if I took him away from his friends, his school, his life as he loves it. I have been tempted, but the random bully issues have been taken care of properly and along the way my son has learned valuable lessons. How to handle such people, how to react, how not to react... and that really has been a life building skill. He is now able to handle a confrontation (verbal) and walk away feeling good about himself. Like I told him, he will be dealing with people like this all of his life, I would rather he learn to handle his reactions like this, than with a punch or a gun.

Personally I feel that school is much more than getting an education. (Hell, I go over everything with Jake and still end up teaching him...I think we have to as parents, if we want our children to succeed in life.)
School is that first introduction to life, getting along & properly interacting with others, dealing with everyday problems, social skills, confidence building, being part of a group or team, learning skills that will be the next step to college, or life. Socialization needs to occur on a regular basis, and kids need to learn that not all people they will meet in life are necessarily good ones.

What's sad, it seems like kids of this generation are having to grow up way too fast.

Sorry this turned into a book!
just to be clear in my case... when i say 'home schooling' i mean at home public school. all the joys of homeschooling, one on one teacher time daily via webcam and daily activities at the local school with kids their age.

BBKF, icheerthebull, Kelseecat65, winvens
Old 02-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Cthulhu
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:315

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2447

Quote:
why? my daughter watches the show and i like it. it's a decent animated show really.

all i watch is cartoons... and i love when people try to make fun of me for it. it's great to then go through the bullshit tv they watch (i guarantee if you watch tv, you watch bullshit too)
Agreed. And well said Kanda!

I watch that show and a few other cartoons as well, they are far better and more entertaining than say 99% of the reality garbage that is broadcast on television.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:
BBKF, Kanda444, Kelseecat65, winvens
Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Kelseecat65
Offline:
The Eternal Optimist
Poster Rank:26
Contributions: 29

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 11715 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss27615

Quote:
just to be clear in my case... when i say 'home schooling' i mean at home public school. all the joys of homeschooling, one on one teacher time daily via webcam and daily activities at the local school with kids their age.
VERY awesome!!! Sounds like they have all the bases covered!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelseecat65 For This Useful Post:
Kanda444