Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
10/20 14/20
Today Posts
4/11 ssss11710
Re: 100,000 Haitians to Be Allowed into the States Under Obama Executive Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Poo View Post
Just of the total of all the arrests in the graphs were 9/10 times only because of marijuana. So the figures aren't skewed with other criminals.

Even IF(obviously it's not the case) all 12% of the criminals caught with marijuana doing other crimes were black, it still wouldn't account for a 4 times higher rate of arrest.

I will give you that blacks do tend to smoke more publicly. However, they are still cautious of police and aren't stupid enough to smoke in front of them on purpose. So it's hard to believe that accounts for the arrest rate discrepancies either.
I know the arrest were marijuana charges, Most even marijuana charges alone, I'm not disputing that fact. WHAT I do dispute, is when people (not so much saying you alone) use those graphs as leverage trying to make in impact in discussion of how many blacks are targeted solely because they are black. Truth is, we can't get the figures of how many of those people were actually sought out, harassed, and arrested on the charge all because they were some random black person standing around doing nothing to provoke it.

That is the gist of my -graphs being misleading- argument, Because when you look at it, you think "WOW!! that's a lot of black folk being picked at random and being arrested:" And those very graphs are used so often when people bring up racial disparity in criminal profiling.

It was even brought up a few weeks ago on my FB wall (not the marijuana graphs but the over all crime stats) by a client of mine who is extremely left leaning, and his argument was racial issues and crime, how the republicans want to oppress the non white race etc etc, in a rebuttal to someone else. Other people were in awe over the gaps thinking and commenting about it as factual statistic to support their belief. So the graph was used in a misleading debate.

It is misleading because then it is left too public opinion to pick out for themselves how much of the graph is actually based on racial profiling issues. I'm not saying there is NONE, But I don't believe it is as great an issue as the graphs could lead one to believe.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:22 AM
niknik
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:68
Conservative OG

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Quoted: 6771 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrist View Post
Not when the graph was designed to give an overall rating, but is then used to represent a lesser value of truth in a debate.

If you took out the ones arrest by minorities.
The ones that were blatant about breaking the law "walking around blasting blunts"
The ones with prior criminal history
The ones in other activities consequently getting caught with weed
The ones selling to undercovers
The ones snitched out
The ones caught "ridin dirtay"
Etc....etc.

You would then see that graph shrink in accordance to your racial argument.
This is the truth.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 AM
niknik
Offline:
Conservative OG

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

Quote:
Let me just end all that right now..

In the figures I gave with the graphs, the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana.

/Thread
You missed the entire point of what he said. What a surprise.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:01 PM
niknik
Offline:
Conservative OG

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

Quote:
Just of the total of all the arrests in the graphs were 9/10 times only because of marijuana. So the figures aren't skewed with other criminals.

Even IF(obviously it's not the case) all 12% of the criminals caught with marijuana doing other crimes were black, it still wouldn't account for a 4 times higher rate of arrest.

I will give you that blacks do tend to smoke more publicly. However, they are still cautious of police and aren't stupid enough to smoke in front of them on purpose. So it's hard to believe that accounts for the arrest rate discrepancies either.
Blacks make up approximately 1/3 of the population. Between 1976-2005 they were responsible for more than half of all murders committed in the United States. Look at today's Detroit or Chicago. Those are extremely violent cities, and it has nothing to do with profiling or racism. Which is interesting since historically people think the south is racist. But black crime and arrest are higher in the north. In fact black crime and arrest are higher in Democrat controlled States. And to dissect further black crime is highest in cities that black mayors and black police chiefs are the norm. Black people aren't shooting each other because of a unfair justice system.

The problem is black culture. The problem is attitudes towards authority, and self destructive behavior. The problem is 7 out of every 10 black males is born without a father in the home. Which is double the white males rate. Whites are 50% more likely to finish high-school in some states 30% in others. The only States that have a higher black graduation rate than whites are States with small black populations.

*A 2012 study*by the Department of Justice’s Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention revealed that in 2010 black youths committed six times more murders, three times more rapes, 10 times more robberies and three times more assaults than did their white counterparts.*free press *

Old 11-14-2014, 12:19 PM
niknik
Offline:
Conservative OG

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss13673

Quote:

How in the world does your racist ass know the circumstances leading to any one of the arrest you point to as only involving marijuana? Some of them could have been stopped for speeding that lead to the arrest. There's many different reasons that could have lead to the police interaction with the result being a marijuana arrest.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:08 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
Blacks make up approximately 1/3 of the population. Between 1976-2005 they were responsible for more than half of all murders committed in the United States. Look at today's Detroit or Chicago. Those are extremely violent cities, and it has nothing to do with profiling or racism. Which is interesting since historically people think the south is racist. But black crime and arrest are higher in the north. In fact black crime and arrest are higher in Democrat controlled States. And to dissect further black crime is highest in cities that black mayors and black police chiefs are the norm. Black people aren't shooting each other because of a unfair justice system.

The problem is black culture. The problem is attitudes towards authority, and self destructive behavior. The problem is 7 out of every 10 black males is born without a father in the home. Which is double the white males rate. Whites are 50% more likely to finish high-school in some states 30% in others. The only States that have a higher black graduation rate than whites are States with small black populations.

*A 2012 study*by the Department of Justice’s Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention revealed that in 2010 black youths committed six times more murders, three times more rapes, 10 times more robberies and three times more assaults than did their white counterparts.*free press *
What you'll also find is that Detroit and areas of Chicago are extremely poverty stricken.

Poverty and social issues are the single biggest factor in crime rates.

Certainly there seems to be some cultural differences. That being said though, there are black people alive today that were around when segregation and Jim Crow laws were still on the books.
It takes more than a generation or 2 after 200 years of being shit on to start to fully recover.

I really don't know what the answer is

I can really respect how certain communities stick together, and help each other out for the betterment of the community as a whole.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:11 PM
rob666
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:55

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 8621 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss16567

Quote:
How in the world does your racist ass know the circumstances leading to any one of the arrest you point to as only involving marijuana? Some of them could have been stopped for speeding that lead to the arrest. There's many different reasons that could have lead to the police interaction with the result being a marijuana arrest.
If you look at someone hard enough, you'll find something.

I know a cop and one day we were teasing him. He said " you better watch it or I'll pull your car over, and when I do eventually I'll find SOMETHING wrong with it

Point is if cop wants to get you for something, he/she will

Old 11-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:
Poster Rank:122

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4489 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

Quote:

12.61% is not 1/3(33.3%)..

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Poo For This Useful Post:
rob666
Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

Quote:
It doesn't matter what the reason they got that arrest was, you're obviously the idiot missing the point. Regardless of ANYTHING ELSE when the same amount of whites smoke as blacks, and blacks are arrested for it 4 times more there is a reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Poo For This Useful Post:
Politkovskaja, winvens
Old 11-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Mr Poo
Offline:

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVrist View Post
I know the arrest were marijuana charges, Most even marijuana charges alone, I'm not disputing that fact. WHAT I do dispute, is when people (not so much saying you alone) use those graphs as leverage trying to make in impact in discussion of how many blacks are targeted solely because they are black. Truth is, we can't get the figures of how many of those people were actually sought out, harassed, and arrested on the charge all because they were some random black person standing around doing nothing to provoke it.

That is the gist of my -graphs being misleading- argument, Because when you look at it, you think "WOW!! that's a lot of black folk being picked at random and being arrested:" And those very graphs are used so often when people bring up racial disparity in criminal profiling.

It was even brought up a few weeks ago on my FB wall (not the marijuana graphs but the over all crime stats) by a client of mine who is extremely left leaning, and his argument was racial issues and crime, how the republicans want to oppress the non white race etc etc, in a rebuttal to someone else. Other people were in awe over the gaps thinking and commenting about it as factual statistic to support their belief. So the graph was used in a misleading debate.

It is misleading because then it is left too public opinion to pick out for themselves how much of the graph is actually based on racial profiling issues. I'm not saying there is NONE, But I don't believe it is as great an issue as the graphs could lead one to believe.
I understand you gripe with using graphs to mislead. It can easily be done through manipulation of variables or dates. They can also be used supporting an argument in varying degrees of truthful representation of the actual statistics. I'm not trying to pretend those graphs prove police are racist and profile every black. But the numbers can show the fact that with marijuana arrests alone blacks are arrested at a higher rate. It could be due to multiple reasons but we all know they are profiled to an extent, the full extent we don't truly know.