Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22942
Re: 10 Yr Old Boy Commits Suicide

NBC's version of this story

Quote:
TAMPA — Neighbor Doritha Boler described the 10-year-old boy as a happy-go-lucky child who loved to play with other children at the apartment complex on Sligh Avenue.

There wasn't a day that you wouldn't see him around, biking, playing slap boxing or fooling around with his friends, Boler said.

"He was pretty outgoing and a good kid," Boler said.

But the boy, who The Tampa Tribune has chosen not to name, died from an apparent suicide Monday afternoon, Tampa police said.

His mother sent him to his room for a timeout late Monday afternoon for misbehaving. She checked on him about 45 minutes later and found him hanging in his closet from a noose he had fashioned from a game system cord, police said.

A neighbor began to do chest compressions. When police officers arrived, they began CPR. He was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Police said the preliminary autopsy report indicates the boy committed suicide.

Boler said the parents and community are struggling with the loss.

"Everybody took it hard because we know the baby," Boler said.

She said residents at the apartment complex believe it was an accident. The boy may have been fooling around with the cord or planning a prank, Boler said.

"We don't believe he intended to do that," Boler said. "There's no way that baby would have done that on purpose. That wasn't his frame of mind."

The school district sent grief counselors to Foster Elementary, where the boy was a fourth-grader. The school postponed its FCAT examinations for fifth-graders because of the tragedy. The school's principal sent a phone message to parents at the school, said Linda Cobbe, a school district spokeswoman.

Although it is rare for a child to commit suicide, suicidal thoughts in children are not uncommon, said Eli Newberger, a pediatrician and an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School.

But it's typically boys who commit suicide, said Newberger, who has written a book on the development of boys, entitled "The Men They Will Become."

There is a social code that expects boys to ball up their emotions. They are expected to be independent and "soldier on" when there's a stress, he said. "Every male should be like a rock and to be impervious to being weak."

The area has experienced its share of child suicides in the past couple of years.

In 2008, 9-year-old Efrem Tyree was found by his mother hanging in a closet at the family's Pasco County home.

In 2009, a 13-year-old Hillsborough County girl, Hope Witsell, hanged herself after months of classmates' taunts. Her family is now suing the Hillsborough County school district for not doing more to help the girl.

Last year, a 9-year-old Lakeland girl, Twan'ya Boyd, accidentally hanged herself by a belt -- possibly while playing a choking game to give herself a high.

Source : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42669772...news-tampa_fl/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to güttsfükk For This Useful Post:
MonsterMetal, Xfactor
Old 04-20-2011, 04:18 PM
candymosh
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss8123

Sad

Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
ChockFullOfChock
Offline:
Madonna vergine bugiarda.
Poster Rank:301
Male

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2628

An accident... that I can believe.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
sweetsarah
Offline:
┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Poster Rank:304
I have a Vajayjay

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2597

Either way a child is dead.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 PM
kboukes
Offline:
My Rank: CORPORAL
Poster Rank:1167
Female

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss331

god, that poor mother is going to feel terrible forever!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 PM
mrh2008
Offline:
My Rank: STAFF SERGEANT
Poster Rank:527
male

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsarah View Post
Yeah that also crossed my mind, but 10 yr olds these days see a lot more now then say 10-20 yrs ago..
TRUE DAT!! We had 2 kids in phoenix about 2 weeks ago not much older then that pull an armed robbery at a gas station for some smokes! 13 year old cartel hit man arrested in San Diego with 4 or 5 murders under his belt. Not hard to imagine that a 10 year old could figure out how to tie a belt around his neck.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrh2008 For This Useful Post:
sweetsarah
Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 AM
güttsfükk
Offline:
Super *********
Poster Rank:34

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss22942

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh2008 View Post
TRUE DAT!! We had 2 kids in phoenix about 2 weeks ago not much older then that pull an armed robbery at a gas station for some smokes! 13 year old cartel hit man arrested in San Diego with 4 or 5 murders under his belt. Not hard to imagine that a 10 year old could figure out how to tie a belt around his neck.
well said

Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Weatherly
Offline:
I'm made of sugar
Poster Rank:49
female

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 5045 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss17846

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh2008 View Post
I think it speaks more to how emotionally immature people are at that age. If you remember your tragedies from adolescence, your first loves... those feelings were far more intense than feelings you have later in life, simply because you lack the perspective to know that bad times shall pass.
As far as preteen age assassins, they're also easily influenced. It's been shown that they are sought out my terrorist type organizations because of such. It's a rough age to be and unfortunately some don't make wise choices.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Black Knight
Offline:
So Fucking Banned
Poster Rank:210
Male

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss4193

Such a shame. I can only imagine the pain and possibly guilt the mother must be experiencing. As the father of a 9 year old boy I can sympathize with her.