Male

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Home Audio from the Byron Smith Burglary Killings

He went way beyond self-defense in my opinion. These files include audio from his home, as well as statements he gave to police.

On November 22 (Thanksgiving Day), 2012, Haile Kifer, 18, and her cousin, Nicholas Brady, 17, broke into the home of Byron David Smith in Little Falls, Minnesota.

Smith, armed with a Ruger Mini-14, shot the teens separately and minutes apart as they entered the basement where he was, later stating to police he was worried about them being armed.

Quote:
By his account to police, he shot Brady twice at the top of the basement stairs, and once in the face fatally after he fell to the bottom of the stairs. Minutes later when Kifer entered the basement, he shot her at the top of the stairs.

Wounded, she fell down the stairs, and after Smith's rifle jammed, he shot her multiple times in the chest with a .22-caliber revolver, dragged her across the floor to set her beside the body of her cousin, and then shot her fatally under the chin.

Smith then waited until Friday to have a neighbor call police, saying that he did not want to bother law enforcement on Thanksgiving.
Video and audio of the events was recorded by Smith's security system.

Smith, 64, was retired from the U.S. State Department and had a history of international travel to Moscow, Bangkok and Beijing.

Smith's brother described him as a retired security engineering officer. The home had been previously burglarized multiple times according to the brother, although only one burglary had been reported to police.

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel believed the teenagers were burglarizing Smith's residence Thanksgiving Day.

Brady's sister claimed Brady stole drugs from her home August 28 in a case that was still under investigation.
Evidence recovered from the car driven by Brady was linked to a burglary of the residence of a retired teacher the night before he and Kifer were slain by Byron Smith.

Smith's statements to police describe delivering killing shots to the heads of both victims after he had shot them on the stairs and they had fallen to the basement floor wounded.

In his statement, Smith said that Kifer had let out a short laugh after she fell down the stairs, saying "If you're trying to shoot somebody and they laugh at you, you go again."

In police interviews Smith acknowledged "firing more shots than I needed to" and that he fired "a good clean finishing shot" into Kifer's head.

Analysts have said that the initial shootings would probably have been justified under Minnesota's Castle law, but that the subsequent shots were not justified once any threat had been removed.

Sheriff Wetzel said that the law "doesn't permit you to execute somebody once a threat is gone."

Hamline University School of Law professor Joseph Olson: "I think the first shot is justified. After the person is no longer a threat because they're seriously wounded, the application of self-defense is over."

Smith was initially charged with two counts of second degree murder. In April 2013, he was indicted on two counts of first degree murder.

Bail was later set at $50,000 which Smith posted. On April 29, 2014, Byron David Smith was found guilty on two counts of 1st Degree Murder with premeditation and on two counts of 2nd Degree Murder after three hours of jury deliberations.

Your Source For Death Pictures and Death Video
ByronDavidSmith.jpg  

1nick-brady-haile-kifer.jpg  

Smith-Byron-Court.jpg  

Picture and Video Clip Stats.
File Type: mp3 Audio_from_house.mp3(27.49 MB, 438 views)
File Type: mp3 BYRON_SMITH_STATEMENT__1_-_AUDIO.mp3(43.13 MB, 200 views)
File Type: mp3 BYRON_SMITH_STATEMENT__1_Part_2_-_AUDIO.mp3(4.73 MB, 163 views)
File Type: mp3 BYRON_SMITH_STATEMENT__2_-_AUDIO.mp3(14.62 MB, 137 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TacticalInstruct For This Useful Post:
BLACKOUTx4500x, chris, CrunchyCripple, deanmine, kellyhound, lovecopper, Photoplay, Pigeon, Pyramid_Head, shiverpudlian, zeb247
Old 05-01-2014, 08:07 AM
kellyhound
Offline:
✝Moderator from Hell✝
Poster Rank:9
Contributions: 413

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
15/20 20/20
Today Posts
5/11 ssss61206
Re: Home Audio from the Byron Smith Burglary Killings

damn, that audio from the house when he fired the shots

Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Photoplay
Offline:
My Rank: GUNNERY SERGEANT
Poster Rank:456
Female
Contributions: 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1414

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalInstruct View Post
He went way beyond self-defense.
I agree!
Thanks Tactical Good Post

The Following User Says Thank You to Photoplay For This Useful Post:
BLACKOUTx4500x
Old 05-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Pyramid_Head
Offline:
My Rank: MAJOR
Poster Rank:80
Male

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssss12567

Cold blooded shit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pyramid_Head For This Useful Post:
BLACKOUTx4500x
Old 05-06-2014, 04:09 PM
pbaj12
Offline:
Captain of a Sinking Ship
Poster Rank:885
Contributions: 14

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
2/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss524

3:20 - 3:35
13:50 - 14:25

Those are the shots and some dialogue if anyone is wondering.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pbaj12 For This Useful Post:
BLACKOUTx4500x, Photoplay, spycosis, Tyrantus
Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Quoted: 21523 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
9/11 ssss37831

Tape kind of has that horror movie sound.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shakey For This Useful Post:
BLACKOUTx4500x
Old 05-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Shakey
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:18
MAN

Mentioned: 449 Post(s)
Quoted: 21523 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
17/20 14/20
Today Posts
9/11 ssss37831

He is guilty

Old 05-18-2014, 07:27 AM
genericname79
Offline:
My Rank: PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Poster Rank:3049

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 8/20
Today Posts
4/11 sssssss78

Thanks for posting this. I've been somewhat obsessed with this case recently. It's been a controversial case because most people can't understand how this man was convicted of murder for killing two people who were burglarizing his home.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in the article above was that Smith intentionally parked his truck several blocks away to make it look like no one was home. He also laid out a plastic tarp in his basement beforehand to put the bodies on. He sat in a chair in his basement with water, snacks, and a book and just waited for them.

The audio recordings were some of the strongest evidence against him at trial, so if the idiot wouldn't have recorded the whole thing who knows if he would've been convicted.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to genericname79 For This Useful Post:
BLACKOUTx4500x, chris, Megamel29, shiverpudlian
Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 AM
illdude31
Offline:
★ Server Supporter ★
Poster Rank:1375
male

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
1/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss262

I'm on the fence about this case these kids knew what they were doing they did break into his home and we all know if they survived he would be sued for using extensive force in my book if you break into someones home you have no rights whatever happens to you, you asked for it after listening the audio he doesn't seems like crazy person he's smart person if he planned to kill these kids i'm sure he would delete audio recordings because those things were only thing that got him found guilty

Old 05-30-2014, 06:30 AM
Megamel29
Offline:
My Rank: FIRST SERGEANT
Poster Rank:283
Female
Contributions: 6

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdude31 View Post
I'm on the fence about this case these kids knew what they were doing they did break into his home and we all know if they survived he would be sued for using extensive force in my book if you break into someones home you have no rights whatever happens to you, you asked for it after listening the audio he doesn't seems like crazy person he's smart person if he planned to kill these kids i'm sure he would delete audio recordings because those things were only thing that got him found guilty

He didn't delete the recordings because he thought he was within his rights to shoot those people. But what he was really doing was laying in wait to shoot the people who kept breaking into his house. He didn't want to just injure them. He wanted them dead. He showed a wanton disregard for human life. He planned to kill them and he did.